Medical Certification Prep Training
This 2 full day training is for interpreters aspiring to take the medical certification exam either with the CCHI or the NBCMI/IMIA. This training is for Spanish speaking interpreters only. Participants will be provided with material to study prior to attending the class, so don’t delay reserving your spot today.
Professionalization and Certification are important for Medical and Healthcare Interpreters to achieve recognition, credibility and respect from the community they serve, other healthcare professionals, and society in general, which will lead to better working conditions, growth opportunities, and economic return. But without a doubt, the most important reason medical interpreters should pursue certification is to help ensure the well-being and safety of the patients.
In order to become a CMI or CHI, candidates will need to demonstrate mastery of fundamental medical interpreting concepts and skills via the written and oral certification exams. Prepping for the certification exams involves more than just memorizing concepts and terms; it requires practice, feedback as well as a change in the mindset of the candidate to navigate with ease and confidence the testing process and format.
During this workshop, participants will be provided with tips, strategies and lessons on the fundamental medical interpreting concepts and skills that are relevant to the exams. Likewise, interpreters will be guided through a series of practical exercises to help them identify strengths and weaknesses while performing sight translation and consecutive interpreting.
- Lectures 8
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 25 hours
- Skill level Beginner
- Language English
- Students 15
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes
Objectives: At the end of this workshop, interpreters will be able to:
- Identify, define and apply high yield concepts in medical interpreting.
- Identify and apply fundamental skills and strategies relevant for sight translation.
- Identify and apply fundamental skills and strategies relevant for consecutive interpreting.
- Identify and apply effective study habits focused on the certification exams for medical and healthcare interpreters.
- Identify and navigate high yield material regarding the certification exams.
- Identify fundamental sources of information and practice for the certification exams.
- Define specific test-taking strategies to better cope with the anxiety and insecurities related to taking the certification exams as a way to improve their performance
- Delineate a personal study plan that can be more effective and efficient